NOTE: FOR 2014 UPDATES AND 45 GIFT IDEAS PLEASE GO TO https://helpparentsagewell.com/2014/05/31/aging-parents-gifts-for-fathers-and-grandfathers-part-1
More gifts ideas for aging fathers and grandfathers–than I think a man could possibly want–filled my Father’s Day gifts posts last year: 8 categories, arranged alphabetically, from “Accessories and Clothing” to “Vision.” I reread them, remembering the time and outside-the-box thinking that went into compiling the list.
Not needing to reinvent the wheel, I’ve updated the list and added a bit. I’ll post it in 2 parts so it’s not overwhelming. Hoping that your shopping is made easier and that the aging men in your life will have smiles on their faces as they open their presents.
- Cane (measured correctly) or walking stick
- Hat (to shade a bald/potentially balding head)
- Sport shirt. (Dad liked long sleeve ones to protect his arms from skin cancer–a definite concern as he aged.)
- Sleeveless cardigan sweater vest (not over the head). Easier to get off and on if buttons aren’t a problem. Older people run cold. Dad wore it at home. It also looked good under a jacket when he went out. (This style is hard to find…know someone who knits?)
- An easy-to-use umbrella collapsible–opens and closes with the push of a button. (Totes makes a good one.)
2. Computers–especially designed for seniors: Check the 6 options in my May post https://helpparentsagewell.com/2011/05/28/computers-especially-for-seniors/ .
- A-Plus Senior Computer
- Big Screen Live
- GO computer
- WOW computer
- Pzee computer
For the even less-technology-talented, check out
- Subscription to a Favorite Magazine
- Subscription to newspaper–financial, current local or hometown they grew up in
- Tickets to sporting events etc.–accompany Dad or have Dad take a friend.
- A short outing with Dad (fishing trip, golf game, movie, zoo, his old neighborhood if it’s near–you might learn additional family history).
- Add a premium TV channel
- Membership to the YMCA or a gym
- Membership to Silver Sneakers
- Toe Nail Clippers: for elders with still-steady hands who don’t have diabetes.
- Panosonic’s Nose and Facial Hair Trimmer is older men’s most popular 2012 purchase according to the NYC Hammacher Schlemmer store or catalogue–($19.95)
- Does a good blood pressure gauge help old, older, and very old men age well? Recently an easy-to-use OMRON intellisense wrist blood pressure gauge, like the one pictured, was used on a patient in one of the doctor’s offices located in one of NYC’s top hospitals. (I phoned to double-check it out.) Check it out with your dad’s/granddad’s doctor.
Omron Bp652 7 Series Blood Pressure Wrist Unit. double-check on this UTube Video.
- A great pair of shoes for walking
- Hammacher Schlemmer’s (catalog: 800-543-3366) full screen pedometer (2 5/8 Hx 1 1/2 Wx 1/2 D). Steps walked, distance travelled, calories burned, time elapsed, average pace–all seen at once, on one screen operated by one button.
- This medication reminder was featured in a respected hospital’s magazine, sent to seniors in surrounding communities. http://www.guardianmedicalmonitoring.com/medication-management.asp. Good idea for forgetful fathers (and mothers)?
To Be Completed Next Post……Until then, happy shopping
May 2014 Help! Aging Parents was again a finalist. Check all finalists’ blogs out by clicking the 2014 finalist badge at right. And many thanks again for your vote.